Wednesday, November 28, 2001

Taking it in the stride

I don't mind anyone saying anything to me. I'm immune to others' ramblings.

I don't care what anyone says about me, good or bad.

I say this because I received flak for the Britney Spears entry. I'm not sorry if her fans were hurt. It wasn't a personal attack on her character or her work. Her music is great, she has immense talent and is lucky enough to have broken records at such a young age. All I can say is, her fans don't appreciate points of view differing from theirs, nor a good piece of writing. :-)

Why am I even saying this? I don't need to justify (my blog entry) or prove myself to anyone.



The Oldest form of Blackmail

Whoever said we Indians are an emotional race was 100% right. Indians tend to over-emotional about anything dear to them. Take the Sachin Tendulkar episode for instance. Poor Mike Denness complied with the rules and look what he is getting now.

And when it comes to family, Indians don't look left or right, throw away their common sense, over-react to silly things and then begins the saga of emotionally blackmailing their children. (Yes, I used a very strong word, but it's the right one). Emotional blackmail is reminding your children how you raised them and sacrificed for them, and then tell them that they should forget their career plans and opt for the profession of the parents' choice. Ditto for life partner. Ask anyone. You will know what I mean.

Parents( I mean Indian parents) think they oblige their children by raising them. But isn't that just the moral duty of every parent-- to provide food, clothing, shelter, education and comfort? Now where does comfort have a chance when your offspring is busy getting over emotional blackmail?



No comments: