Thursday, October 17, 2002

Behave yourself, you're on Camera!

About a week ago, a kindergarten school in Mumbai installed cameras in its premises, so the principal of the school could keep a close watch on all the eight classrooms, plus the reception and the terrace simultaneously. The principal can watch it from her office or home PC. And the capital for it? From the students' fees, of course! A cousin whose daughter goes to the school said that the fees are about Rs.5000 per month, or about $100. And why not? The school calls itself a multi-activity workshop for pre-schoolers.

But the poor students, they barely know what a camera can do, and there they are, being watched by their much-feared principal. A question I have is: do the kids even know they are being watched? And if they do, do they know how closely, and what it implies?

Of course not. But the point here is: isn't this a violation of the child's privacy? Of course, they don't even know what it means, but their parents do, and I doubt if they were consulted about this. They might have just been informed by the management. (I will ask my cousin to confirm this).

And if the cutesy kids do understand what's happening in their classroom, their movements and behaviour will be subconsciously curbed. Their spontaneity will go for a fling in the playground. You don't need a child therapist to tell you that.

Wouldn't that make excellent viewing for other kids- a reality show for kids, featuring kids, and kiddie activities? Imagine this: instead of watching Cartoon Network, the kid watched the kids in the classroom, learning ABC and Mary had a little lamb, all the while darting glances in various directions around for the lens. But all over the world, reality TV shows take the prior permission of those being viewed, usually written.

Here's what a concerned parent has to say about it. Read it. It makes sense.

Surprises!

I absolutely love surprises. But then, I have a friend who hates them.
I'm quiet in a crowd. He can go on blabbering like there's no tomorrow.
I don't usually tease people or pulling others' legs. He does it all the time. And oh boy, does he love rubbing it in!
He freaks out on English music, I hardly know anything music at all.
He writes poetry. I can't. :-(
He loves kids. I can stand them only as long as they are quiet.
We still get along.........I don't know how!

No comments: