Friday, December 07, 2001

No More Bias?

Who said Westerners are an open-minded lot? I don't think so. I thought they were cool people, and accepted people of different colours, religions, societies and whatever else.

And then I got hooked on to ICQ. Came across a lot of Westerners with different opinions about Indians, Hindus, Asians in general.
There was a chap who, on reading I'm from India said immediately, 'You f***ing Hindu.' With the f-word spelt out. Went on, hurling abuses to Hindus like they had descended from hell. Less than two minutes later, he was on my Ignore list. One of the first in a very long list.

Last week, an NZ guy tried to prove that Christianity was the greatest of all religions. He said that because the Christian calendar was followed by everyone, including non-Christians, his religion was, well... the best. And all other Gods were nothing but a figment of uneducated and backward Hindus' wild imagination.

Of course I lost my temper with him, and was terribly rude.

He avoids me online now. I do the same.

No comments: