Tuesday, September 03, 2002

I’m Back!

It’s been a long time since I blogged, but I’m finally back! My hard disk crashed just two days before submitting an assignment, and I had no back-up! A new OS now, with all my earlier data gone!

Lesson learnt: A machine is a machine is a machine. Can stop functioning anytime.

What’s Missing These Days

  • the rain
  • helpful people
  • good songs on FM
  • meaningful programmes on TV (saas-bahusucks)
  • good movies
  • common sense (in almost everyone!)
  • fresh, clean air
  • a good good good medicine to get rid of this damn cold immediately!
  • smart guys in the vicinity



Female Foeticide and Infanticide

Here I go again. I’ve mentioned this before, but I’ll say it again. Female foeticide and infanticide are still rampant in many parts of the country. Want proof? Think of this: the Child Sex Ratio in 1991 was 945 females per 1000 males. In 2001, it was 927 females per 100 males.

I’m part of a sociology seminar (to be held in December) which aims to create awareness about women today. The little research done till now has shocked me.

Consider this:

  • A sex determination test of a foetus can cost as less as Rs.100 (about $2).
  • The most industrialized states of India i.e. Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh have the lowest sex ratios in India. In certain districts, the sex ratio is less than 700 females per 1000 males.
  • There are about 2 million female foeticides per year in India.


No comments: