Wednesday, November 03, 2004

No More Parking

I had to meet the Editor of Education Times at the Times of India building at VT (or CST, as the Sainiks like to call it). I left home at 2.30 pm, so I'd be there by 3 pm (twenty minutes to reach the area, ten minutes to park, and walk it up to VT). I didn't find any parking. Not at Crawford Market, not at Xavier's College, not at Metro. So I took the option I'd never thought I'd go for.

I parked at Churchgate, and had to leave my keys with the guy there. So, instead of taking the amount written on the pay-and-park slip, he said he'd take Rs. 20 for two hours. I had to agree. I then took a taxi till VT.

So total amount spent: Rs. 20 (for parking) + Rs. 50 for taxi (Rs. 25 each way)= Rs. 70. Of course I haven't taken into account the petrol (which is way too expensive these days).

So while waiting at the Times office, my hair entangled, my shirt soaked with perspiration (luckily my Burberry deo was still working), I decided- I'm never going to get the car to VT or any office area again.

And that's when it struck me- the perfect solution to the mad traffic in Mumbai. Abolish all parking lots. Only private ones in building, hotels and hospitals should be allowed.

Radical, but might just work. ;-)

PS- The blog writer was not in her right mind when she wrote the above post. The poor girl is still suffering from the trauma of not finding parking for 45 minutes. The above post is, therefore, not to be taken literally. Thank you for your co-operation.

No comments: