Saturday, April 03, 2004

Eavesdropping

OK, OK, I know it's wrong to eavesdrop, but sometinmes you just can't avoid it. Some people talk loudly and clearly, as if they are inviting you to hear them talk.

A couple of weeks back, I was walking in the park, minding my own business, when three women began walking a few feet behind me. The next minute they were complaining about their respective moms-in-law (what's new?). The conversation's rhythm changed from the usual mundane ("my mother-in-law is too interfering") to the shockingly hilarious ("we lived in the same house without talking to each other for 10 days in a row").

But hey, I'm not complaining, because I had a great time. It was like watching a saas-bahu sitcom without the visuals. I had a good laugh later on.

Did I tell you about the time a saas was complaining about her bahu in chaste Punjabi, and I followed every word? (She didn't realise that some people in Mumbai do know good Punjabi!)

Watch what you say. I may be lurking nearby. ;-)

No comments: